Topic Using the Data/Information/Knowledge/Wisdom Continuum
Application: Using the Data/Information/Knowledge/Wisdom Continuum
Note: All sources/articles must be current peer review articles not more than 4 years old
- Review the information in Figure 6–2 in Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge. [Data, Information, Knowledge and Wisdom]
- Use the following clinical question: “Effectiveness of preoperative shower with CHG AND cesarean birth.” Search term – “Surgical site infections AND chlorhexidine”
- Consider what you currently know about this topic. What additional information would you need to answer the question?
- Using the continuum of data, information, knowledge, and wisdom, determine how you would go about researching your question.
o Explore the available databases. (Cinahl, PubMed, Science Direct, and Cochrane, etc..). Identify which of these databases you would use to find the information or data you need.
o Once you have identified useful databases, how would you go about finding the most relevant articles and information?
o Consider how you would extract the relevant information from the articles.
o How would you take the information and organize it in a way that was useful? How could you take the step from simply having useful knowledge to gaining wisdom?
Write a 3 page paper that addresses the following:
- Summarize the question developed (Effectiveness of preoperative shower with CHG AND cesarean birth.), and then relate how you would work through the four steps of the data, information, knowledge, wisdom continuum. Be specific.
o Identify the databases and search words you would use.
o Relate how you would take the information gleaned and turn it into useable knowledge.
- Can informatics be used to gain wisdom? Describe how you would progress from simply having useful knowledge to the wisdom to make decisions about the information you have found during your database search.
The paper must also include a title page, an introduction, a summary, and a reference page.
Latest completed orders:
|#||Title||Academic Level||Subject Area||# of Pages||Paper Urgency|