Assignment 2: Position Paper Two – Media and Society
This is the second of two (2) position papers based on the following scenario to be completed in this course.
Again, imagine that you are running for a state office (e.g., governor, senator, or Congressional representative) and you have to prepare a position paper for a debate on controversial issues in the news.
What do you consider to be the most trustworthy sources of news, politics, and information? On what do you base your criteria?
Remember that you are addressing a significant segment of your state’s population and you want to be elected to public office, so your topic will have to have a broad appeal, such as public trust and the media, the loss of privacy, safeguarding the First Amendment, online harassment, and the dangers of privatizing public information, among other topics from those chapters.
You will want your position paper to demonstrate critical thinking, sound logic, valid claims, personal passion, and credible support that is cited correctly because the paper will be provided to the news media before the debate and will be scrutinized by the media and reported on regarding these criteria.
Write a two to three (2-3) page (500 to 750 words) paper in which you:
- Introduce your position using a thesis statement in the first paragraph, including a quote, question, or statistic from your reliable sources and an overview of the main points you will cover. (It’s important to grab the audience’s interest and inform the audience of what the main and support points are.)
- Provide two or three (2-3) major points to support your thesis statement. (Put each major point in a separate paragraph.)
- Provide one (1) paragraph in which you identify and answer an expected argument against your view.
- Organize arguments and support your claims effectively.
- Demonstrate personal passion for your position and critical thinking with persuasive language, sound logic, valid claims, and credible support for the claims.
- Use the Strayer University Library at https://research.strayer.edu to locate and provide two to three (2-3) credible and reliable sources (in addition to the textbook) about current events, which have been published in the last five (5) years and are cited correctly in the position paper. (Wikipedia, dictionaries, and encyclopedias are unacceptable and will not count toward your number of credible sources.)
Latest completed orders:
|#||Title||Academic Level||Subject Area||# of Pages||Paper Urgency|