Matt is a 21 year old male who is 6’1” tall and weighs 250 pounds. Maria is a 19 year old female who is 5’8” and weighs 140 pounds. Matt has a family history of diabetes mellitus. Matt and Maria are close friends and do most things together. On this given day, they were heading out very early in the morning to eat breakfast so that they could get to UCF for their classes before the parking lots filled up. On their way, they stopped at IHOP for breakfast and Matt had the Chicken & Waffles for breakfast, Banana Crepes with Nutella, and one cup of coffee. Maria had BaconTemptation Omelette, a side of Buttered toast, and a 16 oz. of Tropicana Premium Orange Juice.
After their morning classes they met up again for lunch. This time they went to Burger King for a quick bite before heading back to an afternoon in the library. For lunch, Matt had the Whopper w/ cheese, a Dr. Pepper (medium) and a side order of the 9 piece Chicken Nuggets. Maria had the Bacon and cheese crispy chicken sandwich w/o mayo, and a side order of large French fries, and a Coke (large).
They studied until late into the afternoon. On the way home they decided they did not have time to cook, so they stopped at Subway to pick up dinner. At Subway Matt had 12" Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, a bag of Lay’s classic chips and a Coca Cola (21 oz. with no ice). Maria selected the 6" Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt, a Chocolate Chip Cookie and yet again, a Sprite (21 oz. with no ice)
Well into the evening’s feature movie on TV, they both decided that a pizza would be just the right thing to have to finish off the evening. They ordered a 12 ‘’ Medium Pan Pizza: Meat Lover’s Pizza from Pizza Hut. They each had three slices along with a glass of water (they wanted to save the remaining slices for lunch the following day).
The movie ended and they drifted off to bed to rest up to face yet another day tomorrow as UCF students.
This is a typical day for Matt and Maria. Other than their usual study, eat and sleep routine, they do manage to get to the gym about 3 days a week. At the gym they usually manage to get in a good 2.5 miles run at an average of 4.26 mph on the treadmill during each visit.
Your responsibility for this report is to:
- Determine if Matt and Maria are about the correct weight based on their height. To do this, you can compare their BMI to published medical tables related to ideal values.
- Evaluate their diet to determine how many calories they both managed to consumed on this particular day. (Keep track of where you find the information, for we will revisit this data later in the semester for a more detailed analysis).
- Being that this is a typical routine for Matt and Maria, would you expect them to be heavier or lighterat the end of one year and by about how many pounds? You might need to consider their Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) in determining the total caloric expenditure.
- Would Matt’s eating lifestyle affect his chance of having diabetes mellitus?
- Discuss the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and comment on the statement that eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
Latest completed orders:
|#||Title||Academic Level||Subject Area||# of Pages||Paper Urgency|